Health Analyzer does a great job warning you about possible problems on your platform, however it is extremely hard to stay on the good side (meaning it does not reward you with a red bar in Central Administration) without turning off a couple of rules.
I met with the Drives used for SQL databases are running out of free space message a few times and the other day reading the official documentation and feeling a bit confused and disappointed I decided to check out what this is about under the hood.
It happened once that i needed to provision a Sharepoint 2013 farm including MS SQL Server Reporting Services (SRSS). I had some issues – maybe you found this post ‘cos of that – which i would also share and give a hint on the solution.
Recently I tried to install SharePoint 2013 in my test environment based on the multiple servers for a three-tier farm scenario, where my SQL Server is on another machine and I got the following error during SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration Wizard:
Failed to create the configuration database
Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: This SQL Server instance does not have the required “max degree of parallelism” setting of 1. Database provisioning operations will continue to fail if “max degree of parallelism” is not set 1 or the current account does not have permissions to change the setting. See documentation for details on manually changing the setting.
I encountered this during farm creation on the first SharePoint server installation.
Generally speaking monitoring process is very important in case of business critical applications. A casual Sharepoint operation keeps on eye on the application’s services. Usually operation process has a look at the Sharepoint services. At some cases an IIS service failure is in the background when a Sharepoint service can not be reached or contacted. Usually operations forget about the IIS service monitoring. In case of a Sharepoint services can not be reached the operations team start the “debug” process at Sharepoint level then dig down to the IIS service level. It could be very annoying after spending one hour with log-analyzing it turns out that the root cause was an IIS service malfunction.
The dreaded Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer error. I have seen a couple of times eventually discovering new causes of this error message. But the Internet is a good source solving this, after doing a couple of cross tests and research.
Basically you get this on your client when you try to open a document library with explorer (Open with explorer button on the ribbon on the Library tab) and something went wrong.